|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 24, 2013|
• Strategy & Strategists
• Network & Information Security
• Terrorism & Counterterrorism
• Insurgency & Counterinsurgency
• Weapons of Mass Destruction
• Homeland Security & Defense
• Energy, Infrastructure & Environment
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
Terror Alert Level
• The Clausewitz Home Page
• Ghost City
Books on Terrorism
Books on Network Security
Books on WMD
How Bloggers Led the Way in Arab Protests (New York Times)
Feb 14, 2011 – David D. Kirkpatrick and David E. Sanger
Young Egyptian and Tunisian activists brainstormed on the use of technology to evade surveillance, commiserated about torture and traded practical tips on how to stand up to rubber bullets and organize barricades. They fused their secular expertise in social networks with a discipline culled from religious movements and combined the energy of soccer fans with the sophistication of surgeons. Breaking free from older veterans of the Arab political opposition, they relied on tactics of nonviolent resistance channeled from an American scholar through a Serbian youth brigade -- but also on marketing tactics borrowed from Silicon Valley. ... They were especially drawn to a Serbian youth movement called Otpor, which had helped topple the dictator Slobodan Milosovic by drawing on the ideas of an American political thinker, Gene Sharp. The hallmark of Mr. Sharp's work is well-tailored to Mr. Mubark's Egypt: He argues that nonviolence is a singularly effective way to undermine police states that might cite violent resistance to justify repression in the name of stability.
Read the rest...
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Strategy & Strategists articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/12 Frontline Sentinel: Two-Factor Authentication for Social Media Sites
• 5/10 McAfee Blogs: RealTime for ePO – Optimized Endpoint Security
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: NSA's Manual on Hacking the Internet
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: 8 charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist
• 5/8 McAfee Blogs: Cybercriminals Celebrate – It’s Mothers Day!!
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: How Secure Are Your Social Accounts?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: The Password Problem. Is it Your Problem?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Have you met McAfee’s SIEM?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: NCCDC 2013 – Red Team Recap
• 5/7 HP Security Lab Blog: HP TippingPoint announces Security Management System 3.6
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Yes, There are “Mother’s Day” Scams
• 5/6 McAfee Blogs: Emerging ‘Stack Pivoting’ Exploits Bypass Common Security
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Intel, McAfee Investing in Network Security; Strength through Acquisition
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Change Your Password Day – Get Onboard!
• 5/5 Frontline Sentinel: iFrame drive-by attack demo [Anatomy of Attack online]
• 5/3 Frontline Sentinel: Basic Use of Maltego for Network Intelligence Gathering
• 5/3 McAfee Blogs: AP, Burger King, LivingSocial….Who’ll be Hacked Next?
• 5/2 McAfee Blogs: Healthcare Cloud Enabled Analytics is Growing
• 5/1 McAfee Blogs: BadNews for Good People
• 5/1 Frontline Sentinel: The PR Implications Of Cyber Security
• 5/1 HP Security Lab Blog: So, you want to build a Security Operations Center...
• 5/1 HP Security Lab Blog: The new era of security intelligence, part 1
• 5/1 Enemy Insights: Inspired by Inspire? Issue 10 Published a Month before Boston Marathon Bombing
• 4/30 McAfee Blogs: McAfee Partner Opportunity
• 4/30 McAfee Blogs: Cybercasing – How Sharing Your Pics, Videos and Status Updates Can Get You Into Trouble
• 4/30 McAfee Blogs: The Next Phase of Mobile Advertising: Conversing With Your Phone
• 4/30 McAfee Blogs: How Trust Can Increase Sales and Set Your Business Apart
• 4/29 McAfee Blogs: Data privacy and the right to be forgotten
• 4/29 Frontline Sentinel: VPN troubleshooting: Isolating VPN session timeout issues
• 4/29 McAfee Blogs: Visualizing A DDoS Cyber Attack
• 4/29 McAfee Blogs: How To Avoid Buying a Pretend Puppy
• 4/29 McAfee Blogs: What’s your password? Well, 55% of IT believes it’s not secure
• 4/28 McAfee Blogs: How To Remember Your Passwords (And Not Have An IQ of 200!!)
• 4/27 Frontline Sentinel: Response to Huffington Post - Fines for Hacked Social Media Accounts
• 4/26 McAfee Blogs: Getting it Right – The Controversy, the Choice, the Results
• 4/26 McAfee Blogs: Tracking PDF Usage Poses a Security Problem
• 4/25 McAfee Blogs: Unify, Simplify and Strengthen Protection For Small Businesses
• 4/24 McAfee Blogs: Are Google and Bing Serving You Safe Search Results?
• 4/24 Frontline Sentinel: Modern security management strategy requires security separation of duties
• 4/24 McAfee Blogs: Facing SaaS application access management challenges? You’re not alone.
• 4/23 McAfee Blogs: Cybercriminals Exploit News of Boston Marathon Bombing, Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion
• 4/23 Frontline Sentinel: 2013 Verizon Data Breach Investigation Report Released
• 4/23 McAfee Blogs: PCI Compliance Best Practices: 3 Areas to Focus On
• 4/23 McAfee Blogs: Don’t Want to Read Through the Fine Print? There’s an App for That
• 4/23 Frontline Sentinel: Falling for a Phishing Attack (This is fun)
• 4/23 McAfee Blogs: Travnet Botnet Steals Huge Amount of Sensitive Data
• 4/23 HP Security Lab Blog: HP TippingPoint Unveils Faster Throughput Next Generation IPS
• 4/22 McAfee Blogs: Top Five Requirements for Tomorrow’s Email Security – Webinar featuring Forrester Research
• 4/22 Frontline Sentinel: Top 10 Security Breaches
• 4/22 McAfee Blogs: Beat Malware Through Integration
• 5/24 Dempsey Kicks off Memorial Day Weekend with TAPS Families
• 5/24 129th Airmen Achieve Milestone 1,000th Save
• 5/24 Air Force Structure Commission Slates June 4 Meeting
• 5/24 Breedlove Encourages 'Big-Picture' Focus on Afghanistan
• 5/24 Naval Academy Grads Ready for New Challenges, Demands
• 5/24 Donley: Sequestration Hits Air Force Readiness, Modernization
• 5/24 Arlington Wreath-Laying Ceremony Honors Fallen Servicewomen
• 5/24 At Annapolis, Obama Urges New Officers to Set the Example
• 5/24 Kendall: Better Buying Power 2.0 Aims to Improve Acquisition
• 5/24 DISA Team Develops New STIG Process
• 5/24 Obama Issues 'Prayer for Peace' Memorial Day Proclamation
• 5/24 Face of Defense: Airman Aids Victim of Oklahoma Tornado Strike
• 5/24 Carter Says Better Buying Power 2.0 Key to Managing Sequestration
• 5/24 Guardsman Focuses on Moore Community, Reclaims Home
• 5/24 Commissaries Plan for Monday Furloughs
• 5/24 Combined Force Arrests Taliban Facilitator in Kandahar
• 5/23 North Dakota Guard Wades in Against Flood Threat
• 5/23 Obama Vows to Close Guantanamo Detention Facility
• 5/23 Obama Delineates Counterterrorism Policy
• 5/23 Hagel Directs DOD to Implement Obama's Guidance
• 5/23 Oklahoma Airman Experiences Moore Tornado's Wrath
• 5/23 Face of Defense: Marine NCO Strives to Lead by Example
• 5/23 Hagel Pledges Partnership in Health Records Integration
• 5/23 Congressional Leaders Help USO Build Care Packages for Troops
• 5/23 Afghan, Coalition Forces Arrest Insurgents in Baghlan Province
• 5/22 Hagel: DOD, VA Work Together to Cut Claims Backlog
• 5/22 Hagel Hails Netherlands as Strong U.S., NATO Partner
• 5/22 Hagel Stresses Summer Safety in Message to Department
• 5/22 DOD, VA Move Ahead with Seamless Medical Record Effort
• 5/22 Director Details Furlough Plans for DOD Schools