|Innovating The Next Big Thing||February 11, 2016|
• Network & Information Security
• Terrorism & Counterterrorism
• Homeland Security & Defense
• Strategic Thinkers
• Weapons of Mass Destruction
• Reader Reactions
• Stratfor Geopolitical Report
• Over the River
Terror Alert Level
Doomsday Seed Vault Opens in Arctic
Feb 26, 2008 – By VOA News
A vault built to safeguard seed samples of the world's
important food crops has opened in the remote Norwegian archipelago of
Norway's Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and Nobel-Prize winning environmentalist Wangari Maathai on Tuesday placed the first seeds inside the vault, built in caverns 130 meters inside a frozen mountain.
The repository is designed to shield plant seeds and preserve crop diversity in the event of disaster such as climate change, epidemic or nuclear war.
The vault has the capacity to store 4.5 million seed samples.
The Norwegian government spent $9 million to build the vault. Other countries can deposit seeds without charge and reserve the right to withdraw them upon need.
Courtesy VOA. Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Weapons of Mass Destruction articles...
Support This Site
• 10/17 TechnologyInnovator Group of Publications Going into Hibernation!
• 11/24 Inside 'Operation Hemorrhage': AQAP releases special edition of Inspire
• 9/2 From Manifesto to Mayhem: Discovery Bomber James J. Lee's Demands
• 4/1 Terror in the Age of Genocide
• 4/1 It Takes a Village: Hillary Warms Up to Inuit Rights
• 3/30 Surviving the Dragon: An Interview with Tibetan Lama and Author, Arjia Rinpoche
• 3/24 Cold Front: Lessons from History
• 3/12 Book Review: Peoples of the Earth: A sensitive & comprehensive portrait of the First Peoples of the 'New World'
• 3/6 Security Insights: Oscar nominees are more popular and risky online right now
• 3/6 Security Insights: Is Hybrid Email Security Right For You?
• 3/3 Security Insights: McAfee Featured on Army?s APL
• 3/3 Security Insights: Source Code Repositories Targeted In Operation Aurora
• 2/26 Security Insights: Go Team USA! But is your favorite Olympic star dangerous?
• 2/25 Security Insights: HITECH Name-And-Shame Goes Up A Gear
• 2/25 Security Insights: Phishing For Twitter Credentials
• 2/25 Security Insights: RSA ? Locked and Loaded
• 2/24 Security Insights: McAfee Vulnerability Manager an SC Magazine ?Best Buy?
• 2/23 Book Review: On Thin Ice, "A must read from the troubador of the land of the midnight sun"
• 2/20 Security Insights: Critical Control 20: Security Skills Assessment and Training to Fill Gaps
• 2/8 From Manifesto to Mayhem: Joe Stack's Last Words for Big Brother
• 1/15 One Tribe at a Time: A Strategy for Success in Afghanistan
• 11/1 Tribe, State, and War: Balancing the Subcomponents of World Order
• 10/30 Decreasing Doc Fraud
• 10/26 President Obama: It?s Time for TRIBALCOM
• 9/30 Bracing for Bioterror
• 9/15 Over The River: Photography and Fatherhood
• 9/1 Power Hungry: Confronting the Dangers of American Myopia
• 8/30 Missile Defense: Hope or Hype?
• 7/1 The GWOT Reconsidered
• 6/30 UAVs to the Rescue: Fresh from the Battlefield, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Now Protect the Home Front
• 5/1 Countdown to a Nuclear Iran
• 4/17 The Lingering Liquid Bomb Threat: Two Years On, New Technologies and Continued Carry-On Restrictions Promise to Make Air Travel Safer
• 4/1 War in the Tribal Zone: Planning for Victory in the Long War: Tribal Conflict, the War on Terror, and a New US Tribal Command
• 4/1 Lessons from the ?Last Frontier?: Tribe/State Conflict and the Modern World
• 4/1 The GWOT Reloaded: After De-naming the War on Terror, it?s Now Time for a Rethinking of its Strategy
• 3/6 Special Delivery: After two centuries, letter-bombs continue their lethal legacy
• 3/1 44 Ways to Support Jihad
• 2/15 Securing the Olympics: Lessons of Beijing: China?s huge investment in time, resources and manpower pays off
• 2/15 Geopolitics, Climate Change, and the Fate of the Arctic
• 2/5 From Manifesto to Mayhem: 44 Ways to Support Jihad by Anwar al Awlaki
• 2/1 Order in an Age of Absolute War: Brodie, Clausewitz and the Case for Complexity
• 1/15 Aviation Security at a Crossroads: Private Aircraft Face Increased Security as TSA Broadens its Reach from Commercial to General Aviation Sector
• 1/2 Herman Kahn: A Jomini for the Nuclear Age
• 1/1 Toward a Post-Arctic World
• 1/1 Bernard Brodie: A Clausewitz for the Nuclear Age
• 12/2 WMD Panel Releases Report to Congress: World at Risk: Nuclear and Biological Weapons Pose Greatest Peril
• 11/28 Opinion Journal: India's Antiterror Blunders; Years of appeasing militants has made the problem worse
• 11/27 Stratfor Red Alert: Red Alert: Possible Geopolitical Consequences of the Mumbai Attacks
• 11/27 Stratfor Red Alert: India: The Need to React
• 11/26 Security Insights: Three kids + one desk top computer = must have time limits
• 5/2 Air Guard Units Prepare for Wildfire Season
• 5/1 Mullen Urges Graduates to Consider Ways to Serve
• 4/30 Air Force C130s, Navy Equipment to Support Oil Slick Response
• 4/30 Guard Readies as Gulf Braces for Oil Spill
• 4/30 Coalition Troops Respond to Afghan Market Bombing
• 4/30 Golf, Life Lessons Available to Military Children
• 4/30 Group Links Health Care Providers to VA, Academia
• 4/30 Face of Defense: Magazine Recognizes Airman in Top 100
• 4/29 Navy to Start Training Female Submariners in July
• 4/29 Defense Department Evaluates Possible Oil Spill Response
• 4/29 Official Praises Crew's Response to Iranian Aircraft
• 4/29 U.S. Must Help Pakistan Beat Insurgency, Officials Say
• 4/29 U.S. Flags Salute Wounded Warrior Athletes
• 4/29 Navy Program Cuts Stress for Military Families
• 4/29 Forces in Afghanistan Kill, Capture Enemy Fighters
• 4/29 Guard Members Prepare for Kentucky Oaks, Derby Races
• 4/29 Face of Defense: Airman Manages Learning Resources
• 4/28 Guard, Reserve Leaders Seek Funding for Growing Role
• 4/28 Lynn Discusses Social Media at Facebook Headquarters
• 4/28 Report Notes Afghanistan Developments, Challenges
• 4/28 Pentagon Dedicates NORAD Corridor
• 4/28 Servicemembers Send Wounded Cyclists Off at White House
• 4/28 Military Pay Competitive With Private Sector
• 4/28 Air Guard Trains for Firefighting Mission
• 4/28 Biden Kicks off Wounded Warrior Soldier Ride
• 4/28 Forces Detain Suspects, Seize Drugs, Weapons
• 4/28 Avatar Project Seeks to Help Military Amputees
• 4/28 Face of Defense: Airman Advances Afghan Women's Cause
• 4/28 Lynn Details Approach to Changes in Warfare
• 4/27 Mullen Appeals to Philanthropists to Assist Veterans
VOA News - War/Conflict stories
• 2/18 Obama Urges His Party Not to 'Run for the Hills'
• 2/18 Ambassador for Young Spreads a Love of Books
• 2/18 New Understanding of How Plants Use Water
• 2/18 Saying Goodbye to 2009, Hoping for a Better 2010
• 2/18 Time -- One of the Great Mysteries of Our Universe
• 2/18 American History Series: After Lincoln's Murder
• 2/18 New Treatment for Sleeping Sickness
• 2/18 Five New Year's Resolutions for Learners to Improve Their English